According to Tim Ferriss you can use the combination of huperzine-A, California poppy extract and flaxseed oil to get better Z's. What do you think? Is this a fact or a fad?
Four Hour Body Sleep Hacks:
- Taking 200 micrograms (mcg) of huperzine-A 30 minutes before bed: can increase total REM by 20-30%. Tim uses this for the first few weeks of language acquisition and no more than three days per week to avoid side effects. (side effects = Insomnia as well as many others) take home note: use at your own risk!
- Don’t drink more than two glass of wine within four hours of sleep: More than two glasses of wine within four hours of sleep decreases deep wave sleep by 20-50%.
- Taking 15+ drops of California Poppy extract: increases deep wave sleep up to 20%
- Eat two tablespoons of organic almond butter on celery sticks before bed: this will help you avoid low blood sugar overnight. Make a pre-bed snack part of your nutrition program.
- One to two tablespoons of flaxseed oil (120-240 calories) can be used in combination with the celery and almond butter to further help.
Getting to Sleep:
Test 67 -70 degrees as your bedroom temperature:
- using 65 degrees as your low point and never going above 70. If you can’t control ambient temperature use socks of different thicknesses to tweak heat loss.
Eat a large Fat and Protein Dominated meal within 3 hours of bedtime:
- Consumed within 3 hours of getting to sleep at least 800 milligrams of cholesterol (four or more large whole eggs) and 40 grams of protein. Tim recommends eating two 3/4 of a pound rib eye steaks 3 hours before bed. This sounds a bit excessive.
Use of light cues The Phillips Go-lite:
- Used as a replacement for coffee first thing in the morning. 15 minutes pointing about 30 degrees off center angle.
Incorporate Iso-Lateral resistance training (one arm or one leg):
- Do a single session of Tim’s Pre-Hab Testing from the “Pre-Hab” chapter in the Four Hour Body. Following is a quick breakdown of the four exercises and recommendations:
- Chop down to left knee x 6-12 reps
- lift up to the right knee 6-12 reps
- 5 TGU one side (16-kg kettlebell)
- 5 TGU one side (24-kg kettlebell)
- 5 reps single side
- 10 reps
Take a cold bath one hour prior to bed:
- put two to three bags of ice from the convenience store into a half full bathtub until the ice is about 80% melted.
Use an Ultrasonic Humidifier:
Use a Nightwave Pulse Light
- Can be used as a supplement to the Philips goLite
30 minutes before sleep:
While Laying Down to bed:
In the Morning:
- Use of light cues – The Phillips Go-lite